Good morning. Drive carefully
I drove home from the Gazette-Times in Corvallis last night about 12:10 and it took me until close to 1 to get home in west Albany. Normally, it takes no more than 20 minutes. I avoided Oakville Road and took Highway 34 to 99E. Never got past 30 mph. Only a few people went faster. If you don't have all-weather tires, and you're driving a lot neighborhood streets, chains would be a good idea.
Good question. If there are others who have taken Peoria Road this morning, please chime in. My guess is it's been fairly well-traveled by now, and should be OK. Drive it much slower than you normally would.
Here's an update from the Lebanon School District: Schools are 2-hrs late, buses on snow routes. Conferences will be delayed. Contact your school for scheduling.
The school closures are listed in our breaking news banner above and below this live blog in a widget.
Here are the closures and delays we've gathered so far:
* Alsea schools; Closed due to inclement weather and power outage. Staff to report at noon for parent teacher conferences, power and weather permitting.
* Corvallis schools
* Central Linn schools
* Philomath schools
* Santiam Canyon schools
* Santiam Christian Schools
* Sweet Home schools
* Albany Christian School: 2-hour delay, no morning or afternoon kindergarten, no preschool; child care opens at 11 a.m.
* Greater Albany schools, 2-hour delay; no morning kindergarten, no morning special education programs.
* Jefferson schools: two-hour delay
* Lebanon schools: two-hour delay, buses on snow routes
* Lane Community College: LCC Eugene and Cottage Grove campuses are on a delay and will open at 9 a.m. An updated finals schedule will be available soon from Lane\'s home page at lanecc.edu
* Linn-Benton Community College: opens at 10 a.m.
* Western Oregon University: Campus is on a two-hour delayed opening (open at 10 a.m.). Final exams scheduled for 8 a.m. today have been rescheduled to Friday, May 23 at 2 p.m. in the same location as originally planned.
Open today, no delay
* Oregon State University main campus
* Pioneer Pacific College - Springfield
If you don't have to drive today, don't. Enjoy this beautiful snow.
Here's the forecast from the National Weather Service in Portland:
Today: A chance of rain and snow showers before 11am, then a chance of rain showers. Snow level rising to 1400 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. South southeast wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tonight: A 30 percent chance of showers before 11pm. Areas of fog after 11pm. Areas of freezing fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. South wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.
Friday: Areas of fog before 11am. Areas of freezing fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 51. Calm wind becoming east northeast around 5 mph.
Friday Night: Patchy fog after 11pm. Patchy freezing fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 32. East northeast wind at 5 mph becoming west northwest.
Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers after 11am. Patchy fog before 11am. Patchy freezing fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 54. Calm wind becoming north northeast between 6 and 9 mph.
Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.
Sunday: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Thanks for joining us today.